The Voice of the Students

As the student populace of the Mount finds itself over halfway through the first semester, the Student Government Association invites all to join its ranks. Sweeping changes have been mandated to SGA, and a new system of government is being unveiled starting next semester.  

While the Mount itself goes through a new system of government, so does the student government. After several years of uncertainty concerning the role of SGA, the organization hopes to play a bigger role in the university.   

What once was a class-based representation system is being modified to a more parliamentary and congressionally-based model.   

While the old structure called for each class having four officers and a number of committees called advisory boards, the new SGA Constitution will consist of a legislative body with one representative for every 75 students.   

Within that structure is a president, vice president, treasurer, secretary, and a chief justice.   

Current SGA members are optimistic of the future of SGA, and feel that this new model will ensure that the students have more of an active presence.  

“This new system unifies the student body into a single voice as opposed to splitting it into four different classes,” explained Vincent Rapposelli, “this allows us to become more coherent and gives more backing to the student voice.”  Rapposelli, a Mount Alumnus of the Class of 2017, participated in SGA for three years and is now an advisor to the organization.

Until the new system begins starting next semester, SGA is currently staffed by a transitional committee of six members.  

Elections for new members will be held from Nov. 7 to Nov. 9.  Students from all four grades can run for the positions of president, vice president, secretary and treasurer.  The results will be revealed on Nov. 10, and the newly elected officers will be sworn in and begin their terms on Jan. 15, 2018.  

“We’re looking for any student who desires to make the university a better place,” explained Patrick Fitzgerald, a junior who currently is the Executive President of the SGA. “Anyone who wants to take a leadership position, anyone who is interested in broadening his or her horizons, any student who has felt the passion and spirit of the Mount.”  

“If someone were considering whether he or she should join SGA, I would tell that student to look around,” added Rapposelli. “There are changes made in the Mount constantly because of SGA.”  

Much of the change brought to the Mount is the work of the SGA. University policy, construction, safety measures, university classes and even the core curriculum have been modified due to the work of the students in SGA.

“If I had to sum it up, SGA exists so student voices are heard,” Fitzgerald concluded.