Men’s Rugby Dominates Georgetown University

The Mount St. Mary’s Men’s Rugby Team (3-1) beat Georgetown (0-4) on Saturday 56-26. The Men’s B-side followed up with a hard fought win as well, beating Georgetown B-side (2-1­­) 33-22.


The Mountaineers received at kick-off and immediately began gaining ground against the Hoyas. Junior Luis Turbyfield scored the first try of the game 5 minutes in. Sophomore Justin Owen then scored the second try two minutes later on the returning kick from Georgetown.


The Mount powered through some tough tackles, but overturned the ball to Georgetown, leading to the Hoyas’ first try of the game. The Mountaineers quickly retaliated with another try scored by senior Jack Spera after fighting to break the defensive line along the try line.

The Mountaineers continued to dominate the Hoyas, who only scored one more try in the first half. First year Will Jacobs proved to be a standout early on in the game, tackling and going after every Hoya that came near him. Fellow first year Matt White also quickly distinguished himself as a notable player, running every which way on the pitch to be where his teammates needed him.


The Mount garnered three more tries before the end of the half with one scored by Owens and two by junior Donte Speight. Owens scored after recovering a dropped ball by Georgetown. Speight scored his first try of the game after the Mount won a scrum on their 20 meter line.


The Mountaineers came into the second half with a comfortable lead at 34-14. Owens scored again for the Mount one minute into the second half. Afterwards, Georgetown started to gain ground and fight hard to score another try, but one of their passes was intercepted by Spera and was run back for another try. The Hoyas continued to fight hard against the Mountaineers relentless defense, but the Mountaineers continued to successfully keep them from scoring. A third try was scored by Spera for the Mount, not soon after. Finally, Georgetown retaliated, scoring their third try of the game.


Georgetown scored one more try before the end of the game after a hard-fought battle that worked its way horizontally along the try line. First year Cuyler McCorkindale managed to score the Mount’s 10th and final try of the game, making the final score 56-26.


The Mount Men’s B-side team played the Georgetown B-side immediately after the match. The Mountaineers struggled through the first half but made an incredible comeback from a 17-3 deficit. First year Nick Ramierez garnered 13 points for the Mount, ultimately giving them the 33-22 win over Georgetown.


When asked how the team has been performing so far, head coach Jay Myles said, “We’re tracking really well. With 29 freshmen, it’s getting everyone on the same page, so I would say we’re tracking right about where I was hoping we would be. And we’re just now starting to hit our stride.”

The next home game for the Mountaineers is against Towson University on October 7.

Leave a Reply