Soccer Wins Against Howard University

The Mount St. Mary’s Women’s soccer team improved to 3-1 after they went on a 2 game road trip, defeating both Howard University (1-3) and Hampton University (0-3) by a combined 8-2 margin. The 3-1 record is the team’s best start through 4 games in university history.


Playing on beautiful night at the Howard U. Soccer Complex, the Mount found themselves down early after Howard’s Whitney White was able to sneak a header in off a cross just under 8 minutes into the game.


With some great hustle from junior Bianca Gillman, the Mount was able to spark an offensive attack, resulting in junior Jenna West drilling a shot just below the crossbar from deep field to tie up the contest at 1-1.


The Mount entered halftime tied and never looked back after the whistle to start the second half. A feed from West allowed junior Jaylyn Chandler to find the back of the net to give them their first lead of the game.


First year Sarah Kajdasz scored her first collegiate goal later in the half to give the Mount some insurance. West would go on to score again in the 80th minute to solidify the 4-1 win and post a career high 5 pts on two goals with one assist.  


Once all was said and done, the dominant performance from the Mount was clear as day on the stat sheet as they outshot Howard 24-10.


Gillman, who provided a spark of energy for the team to turn the momentum of the game in their favor said that, “We started off the game not how we intended, but once we found our rhythm we were able to play our style.” She added that, “The difference between the first and second half was that we executed on our opportunities and had more shots on goal.”


First year (R) goal-keeper Maggie Barron earned the win for The Mount, making her 2-0 on the year.


The team was back on the road two days later to take on Hampton. The Mount entered halftime in a stalemate, tied at zero, but continued their strong play in the second half yet again.


Senior forward Marcella Fegler broke the scoring drought in the 57th minute and West continued her hot streak to add to the Mount’s lead shortly after, putting the Mount up 2-0. Just 73 seconds later, West struck again for the second time, giving herself her second consecutive game with multiple goals.


Hampton got onto the board late in the contest cutting the deficit to 2, but it was far too little and too late because just a minute later, junior Kayla Hughes netted a goal of her own to put the Mount on top for good. With the 4-1 victory, Baron earned her 3rd win of the year.

The Mount will be back on the road for their next game as they attempt to keep their win streak alive against Rutgers University.


Leave a Reply