Soccer Loses Against Temple and No. 16 Rutgers

Mount St. Mary’s University (3-3) continued their four-game road trip to Yurcak Field at Rutgers, where they fell 7-0 to nationally ranked Rutgers University (5-0).


The 16th ranked Scarlet Knights got ahead early in the fourth minute on a goal from Nicole Whitley. Rutgers would follow that up with another goal off a header from Amirah Ali in the 17th minute, extending their lead to 2-0.


Rutgers didn’t look back after the hot start, scoring 6 of their 7 goals in the first half. Whitley and Ali would both score twice in the opening half of the game before two more Scarlet Knights made it a 6-0 game.


The only goal of the second half came from Rutgers forward Brianna Starr, which sealed the win, shutting out the Mount 7-0.  In goal, Casey Murphy earned the win for Rutgers, earning her fourth shutout and fourth win of the year to extend the Scarlet Knights’ win streak to 4. Maggie Baron, a transfer from Rutgers received the loss in goal.


The Mount was led offensively by previous player of the week Jenna West who had 4 of the 10 total shots for the Mountaineers.


On Sept. 3, the Mount traveled to Philadelphia to take on Temple University and wrap up their road trip. A great game for Temple’s Gabriella McKeown which included the only two goals of the match secured a 2-0 victory for the Owls.

McKeown opened the scoring in the 16th minute of the contest with a beautiful strike past the Mount’s Maggie Barron in goal. Jaylyn Chandler nearly answered with a missile of her own from beyond the 18’ but found no luck striking the crossbar allowing the Owl’s to recover and clear it from their goal.


McKeown would strike again in the 36th minute extending their lead to 2-0 off an assist from Kerri McGinley. Just before half the Mount had a scoring opportunity off the head of Chloe Cain but was denied by Temple’s goalkeeper Morgan Basileo, securing a halftime lead for the Owls.


The Mountaineers dominated the Owls on the stat sheet nearly doubling their total shots 22-12, but were held in check and couldn’t get on the board to open up the scoring. The Mount is back home on Sept. 8 against Radford University at 7 p.m.

Leave a Reply