Men’s Lacrosse Defeated in Season Openers

Feb. 11 marked the return of the Mount St. Mary’s Men’s Lacrosse season. The men faced Delaware on our home turf in Waldron Stadium and unfortunately fell to the Blue Hens. The final score was 18-5, but promise showed amongst standout players of the game for the rest of the season.

The game started with a goal from Delaware, but was promptly responded to by first year Brendan McCarthy who came from behind the net to score just a minute later. The Hens came back to score another three times, taking the lead 4-1. Sophomore, Jack Mangan cut the deficit with just 44 seconds in the first by scoring to make the score 4-2. Mangan would continue the game as a standout to be the only multi-point player on the Mount team with his single goal and two assists.

The second continued with more first year promise with a first career goal from Brendan Doyle to bring the board to 6-3 in Delaware’s favor.

The third period brought about a three goal streak from Delaware which was ended by Spencer Smith with a goal to stop the bleeding, but unfortunately Delaware counteracted with another five goals. Sophomore, Chris DiPetoro scored his first goal of the year within the third period of the game, but was once again responded to by Delaware. The fourth period ended with three goals by Delaware to make a final score of 18-5.

In the second game of the season the Mount St. Mary’s University Men’s Lacrosse team faced Towson. The Mount ultimately fell to Towson with a score of 13-5.

The Mount was the first to score during the game when Rylan Lamon scored off of a pass from Jack Mangan with about five minutes left in the first quarter. During the last five minutes, Towson would respond with a goal, but Mount would take the lead again with a goal from Chris DiPretoro fed by Bubba Johnson. Towson, however, responded once more, making the score 2-2. Towson then took control of the game, one player recording a hat trick, and two more goals, making the score 7-3. DiPretoro was able to cut a later deficit with a second goal to put the Mount back up on the board. Towson was able to take control of the game once more before the Mount was able to put another two goals on the board by Johnson and Brendan Doyle to round out the game with a score of 13-5.

Yesterday, the Mount faced Richmond in their third game of the season only to be clipped with a score of 10-7. Leading the pack was Brendan McCarthy, with his first career hat trick. McCarthy earned a team-high four points between his hat trick and single assist.

Richmond jumped ahead at the start of the game with a 2-0 lead, but McCarthy answered with his first two goals of the game. Fast forward in the game and Richmond is up with a score of 5-2 which was responded to by freshman Cameron Carpenter and followed by  Jack Mangan and McCarthy’s third goal, making the score 5-5 to head into the fourth.

Later in the game, the Mount saw a goal from Bubba Johnson to cut the deficit to 8-6. DiPetroto registered a second goal in the game to cut the game back to a one-point game, but unfortunately Richmond scored a pair of goals to close out the game 10-7.

The Mount will face Furman Feb. 26 at noon to close out the four-game home stand.

Leave a Reply