Hello Mount St. Mary’s! This semester your Mountain Echo is going to be bringing in some new and exciting things to keep you guys more informed, and more entertained as well! The “Ask Alice” column is a new and interactive feature for the students of the Mount. What I will primarily be doing is giving you guys the opportunity to write me some questions that concern you, and I, being the wizard that I am, will give you some awesome advice and not hold back in the process.
You may be wondering, “who is this wizard of exponential knowledge and hilarious wit?” Well my friends, unfortunately I cannot reveal my identity, and must remain anonymous for both my safety and to just have a lot more fun. Let’s be honest, it’s a lot easier to be blunt and honest when no one knows who you are. So, my fellow Mounties, for the time being let’s just pretend I am the super hot girl in the gym. Or that super sensitive guy who always gives you his notes. Or pretend I am some nerdy chick who had nothing better to do! Think of me any way you want to, but always remember I am here to give you advice and help you out with your problems in a very public way (Kidding! Don’t worry, you remain anonymous as well!)
WELL, I suppose that there is no better time than the present to start giving out my life changing advice! Our first question is from a freshman student (we’re just going to call him Jerry). Jerry asks,
“I am a freshman here at the Mount and I want to know any advice you have for me to make my second semester fun, because my first one was a little stressful.”
Oh Jerry. Yes, freshman year can be really difficult- especially trying to keep up with school and parties and friends and clubs. It can be a lot to handle. Hahaha just wait until sophomore year… I KID I KID! But here are some real things that can make your life less stressful and more fun for your second semester of freshman year.
- If you haven’t stopped already, STOP WEARING YOU LANYARD AROUND YOUR NECK. This makes you stand out in a crowd and also alerts upper classmen that you are a freshman and they will take advantage of that.
- Don’t be too proud to ask for help. Go to your professors for office hours and take advantage of what this school has to offer! The writing center is open in the evenings in the library, and you are able to find a tutor for any class you may need. The Mount offers so many things to help you with your academic life so do not be afraid to use them!
- Get out of your comfort zone and try something new. The Mount has endless clubs and organizations that you can join, and in the process you’ll find something you really love and lifelong friends. (The Mountain Echo is super fun by the way. You should check it out).
- Keep the embarrassing stuff to yourself. No one wants to see EVERYTHING you did over the weekend…Know what it appropriate to post! (If your grandmother would be sad to see it, don’t post it)
- Easy-Mac is not a meal. Eat some veggies.
- Last but definitely not least. Do your laundry more than once a month and wash your sheets.
Alright Jerry! Without writing a novel I think that you can go forth and be the best second semester college freshman you can be! Just know that college may get overwhelming. At times it may seem like the hardest thing in the world, but I can promise you that it will also be the most fun thing in the world as well. Good luck to everyone this second semester!
To submit a question, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your personal information will be kept confidential and seen only by Rebecca Schisler and Alice.
Image courtesy of Bitmoji.