Want to Waste $84? Skip Class Tomorrow

To the Mount Community,

Throughout this semester so far, I’ve been extremely disappointed by the Mount community’s lack of interest in department-sponsored events and education at large. Through my college career, I have been blessed to hear amazing speakers and fascinating opinions, and all for no additional cost other than my tuition. But where is everyone else?

This is not a new problem. Just last year, the Mount put on dozens of lectures–from an expert on Middle Eastern refugees to leading social justice attorney Susan Burke, from owners of national and international corporations to our own Mount faculty conducting highly advanced research.

These lectures had one thing in common: Knott Auditorium was nearly half empty.

I’d like to ask the community: Why? There are a few thousand members of our community. We are all either paying to be educated or regard ourselves as educationally motivated. Not only this, but as citizens of an educational institution, we should be oriented toward our future successes and the prosperity of the world. How can we expect to succeed if we do not take advantage of the opportunities essential to our growth as students?

I’ve heard many professors grieve over the fact that they can only get students to attend lectures if they offer extra credit. You want extra credit? The extra credit is the benefit you are receiving as a human person by expanding your knowledge and ability to make an impact on the world through understanding new ideas.

To me, it seems like there is a sense of complacency among students. Consistently, I am surrounded by students who did not do their homework, forgot there was reading for class or who did not even bother to get out of bed for an 11:00 class. What gives? Do you not realize how much this school costs?

Let’s do some math. For a given semester, let’s say that there are 15 weeks, in which you attend five classes a week for a total for three hours per class. That adds up to 225 hours. The 2016-2017 tuition rate is $37,700, so cut that in half for one semester. This means that for every class you skip (not even counting homework you don’t do), you are essentially wasting about $84 for MWF classes and $126 for TH classes.

If you don’t show up to class, can you even consider yourself a student?

Mount St. Mary’s University provides abundant resources for growing intellectually, and many of these resources go untouched day after day. Lectures go unattended, professors’ office hours are not used and books are rarely checked out from our library.

This might not be a problem unique to the Mount community. This could be a generational problem of complacency. But are we, as students who want to make a difference in the world, really going to stand by and let this happen?

We are the future of this world. We are the ones who will be carrying the burdens of our own generation’s laziness. We need to rise above everyday difficulties and anxieties that is college and think about our future selves. Are you satisfied that the future leaders of tomorrow are sleeping through their education while accumulating thousands of dollars in debt? I’m not.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Schisler

Rebecca Schisler

News Editor for The Mountain Echo

4 thoughts on “Want to Waste $84? Skip Class Tomorrow

• September 28, 2016 at 11:06 am

I was just going through all the articles sent to my email from the Echo. This article just seems so condescending to me. I don’t worry about what my other classmates did while we were in school. They paid their way and I paid mine. We all had different ways of paying for our education but if I didn’t want to go to a lecture, that was on ME. I ask you, why are you so concerned with what others are doing? Why not worry about what YOU are doing to make the mount a great community. Are you asking fellow students if they are coming? Making a time to meet with other friends to grab dinner and then hit the lecture? I personally did not like going to lectures and if I wanted to skip class, I did. I find that we get more positive feedback when there is less toxic paragraphs being written about fellow students non-accomplishments.

• September 28, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Well Mrs. LeGate, for one, I absolutely love all of the Mount’s extracurricular talks, speeches, events, and lectures. I think they provide a very unique insite into the major problems and current events. And these issues and events are not only affecting the mount community or the Catholic community, but the world. We, as Mount students or alumni and members of this great nation need to be knowledgeable and well versed on these topics that the mount is providing such a unique and pricelsss lectures on. Mount students should go to these lectures to be more knowledgeable and better prepared to tackle what comes next.

We should keep each other accountable. We need to encourage our Mount community, which community is one of our four pillars by the way, to continuously strive to know more and be more. To be better than we were yesterday. I thank Ms. Schisler for writing this article and for calling out the mount community. She is keeping the Mount’a students accountable. By not going to these events, of which world class professionals come to share their knowledge, you are limiting your potential and your own knowledge.

• September 29, 2016 at 12:41 am

While I recognize the resources our university has to offer are not always taken advantage of, I wonder if an inflammatory article condemning students who do not attend is the best response. Class attendance and lecture attendance are the means in which our students can not only succeed, but flourish. With that said, a moral high ground on this matter will not fill Knott Auditorium. There are many factors that determine why a student chooses to attend a class or a lecture. It’s narrow minded to presuppose that it is caused primarily by laziness. While this factor is inexcusable and prevalent, it does not account for a vast array of valid reasons why students do not put these important things first. Family responsibilities and jobs off campus to name of few, can limit the ability for students to consistently prioritize purely academic opportunities. To fully avail yourself to these opportunities is a privilege, a privilege that not all Mount students have the ability or means to take advantage of fully. I appreciate the candid nature through which Ms. Schisler addresses a serious concern with our campus culture, but I believe that it comes from a privileged and narrow perspective.

• September 29, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Look, no matter whether you go to class or not, you’re racking up a lot of debt or your parents are paying for you to go to class. You risk losing points off your grade. Getting called out on your failures is actually a great motivator. Besides, missing free enrichment opportunities is only hurting yourself. You miss a chance to gain a greater awareness for the world around you. Kony2012