Two Tough Losses for Baseball Team

Photo of Kevin Myers
Photo courtesy of Mount St. Mary’s University

The baseball team was unable to finish the job in close losses to UMBC and Bucknell last week. A 4-3 loss at home versus UMBC on Mar. 24 featured a no-hitter that was snapped after seven innings. In an 8-7 loss at Bucknell on Mar. 25, an early 6-0 lead was lost to Bison.

Junior Kevin Myers took to the hill against UMBC poised to end the team’s torturous 11-game losing streak. For seven innings, it appeared that Myers would end the Mount’s skid. The right-hander mowed down the first 12 UMBC batters consecutively before he allowed the first runner on base with a walk in the fifth.

Nick Naumann broke up Myers’s chances at a no-hitter with a single in the seventh inning. Despite this, the Mount maintained a 2-0 advantage as a result of senior Kory Britton scoring on freshman Brian Parreira’s single in the bottom of the sixth.

The team’s 2-0 lead would not be enough to escape the top of the ninth. UMBC scored three runs of their own to take their first lead of the day. Mitchell Carroll brought in the go-ahead run by reaching base on an error.

In the bottom of the ninth, the Mountaineers responded with a run of their own. Junior Tommy Quealy grounded out to score junior Chad Diehl from third base. With a 3-3 tie, the game moved to extra innings.

In the second inning of extras, Tim Kelly of UMBC doubled down the third-base line to plate the go-ahead run. This would ultimately become the game-winning run in the 4-3 loss.

Red-shirt sophomore Zach Hostetter and sophomore Zach Call led the charge offensively for the Mountaineers. Both players went 2-for-4 at the dish. Myers finished the game with three strikeouts and three hits in 6.2 innings of work.

Britton was a top performer offensively in the loss at Bucknell on March 25. He was 4-for-5 at the plate with 3 RBI for the Mountaineers.

In the first inning, Britton put the first run on the board with an RBI single. Parreria followed suit with a double to score Britton and give the Mount an early 2-0 lead. The team tacked on two more runs in the second and the fourth thanks in part to senior Andrew Clow and Britton. Each player drove in two runs to increase the lead to 6-0.

Bucknell began their furious comeback in the bottom of the fourth. A pair of unearned runs was the first sign of trouble for the struggling Mountaineers. In the seventh inning, the Bison continued to chip away with four more runs. A two-run double and an RBI groundout kept the Bucknell offense rolling.

In the bottom of the eighth, the Mount relinquished their lead for the first time in the game. With two more runs, Bucknell gained an 8-7 lead. Anthony Gingerelli’s sacrifice fly gave the Bison and advantage for the first time all day.

The Mountaineers had one final opportunity to mount a comeback in the top of the ninth. However, the bats never came around, and the team lost their thirteenth straight game.

The team will be returning to action soon with a number of games scheduled over Easter break.  They will play a non-conference game today versus George Washington. Conference play begins tomorrow when they host Central Connecticut State. First pitch is slated for 3:00 PM.

Josh Karlheim

Staff Writer for The Mountain Echo

Leave a Reply