18 Survival Tips for the Class of 2018

Angela Smith, Community Editor

18 survival tips for the Class of 2018

The first few weeks of college are full of new experiences, meeting new friends, and growing up. Here are a few tips from a senior to the freshman class:

1.      Do not sweat the small stuff — these things do not really matter in the long run.

2.      Please take that lanyard off of your neck. Wearing the classic Mount lanyard around your neck seems like a no-brainer right? Wrong. This act immediately marks you as a freshman. Although nearly every upperclassman has done it in the first few weeks of their freshman year, they quickly learned it was the biggest faux pas a college student could ever make.

3.      Chat with a seminarian. These chaps are friendly and usually open to making new friends at all times.

4.      Do not be afraid to talk to your professors: These brilliant people are here to help you, and they genuinely enjoy seeing you grow and flourish as a student, and as a human being.

5.      Learn how to do your own laundry: It’s about time.

6.      Beware of procrastination: This demon lurks behind technology screens, right after dinner time, when it is too early to really be worried about impending due dates and homework.

7.      Participate in club trips: AMP, CRUX, Campus Ministry, and all the other incredible clubs on campus offer unique and exciting opportunities to try new things. How many people do you know that can say they have gone on the Switchback retreat, been caving, and made a day trip to NYC all in one semester?

8.      Take the time to get to know the library and the library staff. Honestly, I hardly set foot in the library during my freshman year, and now, I visit it daily. I even have a usual cubical spot. It took me a while to have the courage to ask the library staff for help with finding sources and doing research for projects, but now, I wish I had begun to do that years ago.

9.      Do not let the drama get to you: It is inevitable, but do not dwell on these issues, young grasshopper.

10.  Get involved on campus like it is your job: This is a fantastic way to build lasting friendships, get to know the university, and gain useful life skills.

11.  Try something that scares you: Whether this includes zip lining across the pond on East Campus, speaking in front of an entire class, or striking up a conversation with a stranger, these experiences will empower you and make you fearless.

12.  Get to know your surroundings: Emmitsburg may seem like it is in the middle of nowhere, but who ever said that there was nothing to do in the middle of nowhere? There are so many amazing adventures to be had, right in our backyard. I would personally start with a visit to the Grotto, and then move on to Cunningham Falls State Park, the Gettysburg battlefields and Big Slide in Thurmont.

13.  Take advantage of the workout facilities and fitness classes at the ARCC: Do you know how much a gym membership costs in the real world?

14.  Expand your horizons: Join a club that you never would have joined in high school, take an interesting class that has nothing to do with your major, befriend the person you are standing next to in the wrap line.

15.  Take part in Mount traditions: MOUNT UP.

16.  Be sure to try Ms. Nancy’s famous omelets and Ms. Bessie’s famous waffles on weekend mornings. You will thank me later.

17.  Do not be afraid to talk to upperclassmen. We do not usually bite and are actually quite nice.

18.  Be yourself. So cliché, I know, but coming to college is a fresh start and a chance to let the real you be embraced by the people who surround you. You will make lifelong friends during the next four years, who love you for who you are.