It Was a RELAY Good Time

By: Mary Sherwood, Staff Writer

Many if not all of you have been affected by “the big C.” Cancer is a terrible and sometimes fatal monstrosity that no one wants to encounter. To help spread awareness and fight for the cure, Mount St. Mary’s holds a Relay for Life event every year that usually takes place early spring. This year’s event was nothing short of success.

The weekend of March 7, the PNC Sports Complex was full of participants willing to come together for this great cause. Prior to this event the Relay for Life committee, along with Dr. Elaini Tsoukatos and Laurie Frey worked diligently to plan, fundraise and spread the word about Relay for Life since the beginning of the academic year. The first fundraising event was the Freaky 5K that brought not only runners but anyone who wanted to participate and donate to Relay for Life. Raising around $1,600 from the 5K was only the beginning. Afterwards, teams started to form and money poured in as more people started to hear about Relay and what it was about. There was a table set up in Patriot Hall for weeks advertising Relay for Life and encouraging students, faculty and staff to either donate or join a team. In addition, there was a bake sale during Mount’s Got Talent that also brought in donations.

Many survivors of cancer were able to attend the event, including one of the Mount’s professors, Sister Anne Higgins and former student Sarah Klunk. Being a recent cancer survivor, Sarah gave a tearful talk about her experience.

“The fight against cancer is personal to many, but this year we felt the impact of how personal it was more than ever before!  It was especially impactful hearing Sarah Klunk share her personal journey through cancer over the past year,” stated Laurie Frey, from American Cancer Society.

The overnight experience was something new to one of the committee members Kaitlyn Sweeney, freshman.

“I’m really glad I got to experience it. I’m [also] glad I got to be a part of a great committee that worked so hard to put the whole thing together.” The point of having this overnight event was to stay awake because cancer never sleeps.

Team Captain and Co-Chair of Relay Lauren Brown, junior, expressed her love for the event and how well she thought it went.

“Relay for Life 2014 was a huge success; all of the planning and enthusiasm between the Committee and Team Captains really made this event truly memorable for everyone involved. By raising over $26,600, the Mount is well on its way to helping the American Cancer Society fight back for a cure.”

For anyone who is interested in joining Relay for Life, contact Lauren Brown by email at LEBrown@email.msmary.edu .

With 14 teams and 237 participants, this year’s Relay for Life at the Mount made a great impact in our community. The continuous fight against cancer will never cease until a cure is found.