Cherry Picking: Snow Days

Sarah Cherry, Staff Writer

The beginning of the semester is a time of new classes, neat dorm rooms, and notebooks that have yet to be filled. We were all enjoying our break until we figured out how much we missed our friends, and we even found that we missed the structure of having a day with more responsibilities than the few chores your mom could convince you to do and Netflix. So we came back to school – ready and raring to go. Whether our newfound drive for good grades came from slip ups last semester or the realization of how close we were to graduating with honors, we bought our books, paid attention on syllabus day, and even started to look ahead in our readings. This semester would be ours.

And then things like holidays (I’m looking at you, MLK), snow delays and days, and the general distractions of college life creep back into our lives.  We realize that waking up an hour before class to look like we didn’t just get out of bed is a waste of time.  Instead of completing our homework the day it’s assigned, we find ourselves doing our homework the night (or even a few hours) before it’s due. We remember that friends and potential flames are way more interesting than our Core/Veritas classes.

This turnaround is inevitable, and it takes less and less time every time it happens. As a second semester senior, I can assure you that it’s true – three weeks into classes and I’m already starting to rationalize skipping. I have to say that this semester is especially difficult to get into for everyone – what with the constant appeal of snow.  This form of precipitation inspires a reaction in everyone: whether you want to go play in it or hide from it with hot chocolate and movies. How are we expected to study when it looks like Narnia outside? The answer is: I have no idea. But I’ll tell you what I do in the hopes it will get you motivated.

How to stay focused on a snow day:

1. I wake up to my ringtone around 6:00 AM to the highly anticipated call from the Mount Alert System. I listen until they tell me that classes are cancelled. I hang up the phone and put my head back on the pillow, relishing in the freedom to sleep for as long as I’d like.

2. I wake up to my alarm, feeling intense regret and self-loathing for not having turned it off earlier. I go back to bed, relishing in the knowledge that I won’t be awoken again until I feel like it.

3. I wake up whenever I finally wake up on my own (the best way to wake up). I lay there for anywhere from 5 minutes to half an hour thinking about what I need to do and scrolling through the text messages from my over-zealous friends (who want to play in the snow) and my mother (who reminds me of the snow day and not to drive, in four different messages).

4. I make myself and my roommate some form of breakfast that I never would have time for on a regular day (Monday we had southwestern omelets!).

5. I hang out for a while doing nothing, then I tote my backpack around with me where ever I go for the rest of the day.

Essentially, I get little to no work done, but at least it looks like I tried. I mean I wrote this article on Monday. Sure, it took me at least three times as long as it should have, but I got it done right? I sat with my readings in front of me while watching Netflix with my friends, so I’m sure I absorbed something from them. The most important thing I did on this fine snow day was relax and mentally prepare for the rest of my grueling school week. And pray that we would have another snow day tomorrow.