Swimming Places 2nd at Radford Invite

Julie Rose, Staff Writer

The Mount Saint Mary’s women’s swimming team finished the Radford Invitational with three victories on Saturday to seal a second place finish with an overall score of 704 points.  The team’s 704 point score is the highest the Mount has ever scored at the Radford Invitational. The first place team from Campbell University received a score of 1,051.5, while Radford, the third place team, scored 643.5 points. Other competitors included UNC Asheville, Millersville and North Carolina A&T.

The overall score was not the only record the women’s team broke. Sophomore Haley Fournier beat her competitors in the 1650 free by more than 10 seconds with a time of 17:08.14. This broke the Mount’s previous record held by Erin Regan of 18:19.23.

Regan finished the event strong with an individual win in the 200 fly with a time of 2:06.64. Regan teamed with Fournier, Mollie Walsh, and Amanda Moore for a first place victory in the 400 relay with a time of 3:33.77. Moore received the second best time of the day on the 10 free (53.52). Fournier placed third with time of 2:27.63 in the 200 breaststroke. Earlier in the day Morgan Runk qualified for the B-finals of the 200 backstroke. She outperformed the majority of her competitors in the top final with a time of 2:11.71. Runk’s time was the third best of all competitors on that day.

The Mount women’s swimming team finished strong and will take a well deserved break for the month of December. The team returns January 25, 2014 to compete at Duquesne University.