A Wild Weekend in College Football

Andrew Wyatt, Staff Writer

This past weekend featured some of the more intriguing matchups on the college football calendar. “The Game” between the Michigan Wolverines and the Ohio State Buckeyes headlined a super-slate that did not disappoint college football fans around the country. The Wolverines garnered an early 14-7 lead thanks to a pair of touchdowns from their explosive quarterback Devin Gardner and tailback Fitzgerald Toussaint. However, the late first half heroics of Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller (he ran for two scores at the end of the first and second quarters) notched the score at 21 points apiece going into halftime. Ohio State jumped out of the gate in the second half with two, third quarter touchdowns courtesy of their elusive quarterback to make the score 35-21. Michigan responded by scoring 20 points in the fourth quarter alone to keep pace with the Buckeyes. Yet, Ohio State wasn’t to be denied a perfect regular season and held on the final seconds to claim a gritty 42-41 win over their arch rivals.

If you thought the Ohio State vs. Michigan was a thriller, then the Iron Bowl between Alabama and Auburn was a complete shocker. The Crimson Tide grasped an early 21-7 advantage after two touchdown passes by quarterback AJ McCarron and a 1-yard scamper by running back T.J. Yeldon. Auburn battled back in the third quarter with 14 unanswered points to tie the score at 21. Then, pandemonium seemed to take hold of this game. AJ McCarron completed a 99-yard touchdown pass to Amari Cooper from the back of his own end zone to propel the Crimson Tide back into the lead. Nick Marshall, Auburn’s sophomore quarterback, responded in the clutch via a 39 yard pass play to Sammie Coates with under a minute remaining in regulation. With little time remaining, Alabama slowly moved the football towards Auburn’s side of the field. With one second left on the clock, Kicker Adam Griffith lined up to win the game, but his 57-yard attempt fell short. Returner Chris Davis fielded the ball inside his own end zone, picked up a few blocks, and bolted down the left sideline for a 109-yard touchdown. This had to have been one of greatest moments in school history, as fans stormed the field in celebration and disbelief as to what had taken place.